Supportive living offers seniors the privacy and dignity we all desire, combined with a sense of community and personal security. Supportive living enables seniors to remain active members of society while ensuring basic needs are met. Independent living in private suites is combined with two meals a day, light housekeeping service, social and recreational opportunities, and twenty-four hour a day emergency assistance.
At Dawson Heights we offer many opportunities to remain active, including: a woodworking table, the Crafters group meets weekly, numerous volunteer opportunities, an ongoing jigsaw puzzle in the library. See our recreation calendar for an up to date list of this month’s activities.
Light housekeeping in The Cedars consists of the following services on a weekly basis:
- Changing bedding and replacing towels
- Cleaning and sanitizing toilet, shower, counter, mirror
- Washing bathroom & kitchenette floors
- Vacuuming all carpets (easily accessible areas)
- Wiping and sanitizing kitchenette counters and sink
- Dusting window ledges, heat registers and patio door tracks
- Wiping any marks on walls
- Wiping door knobs with an antibacterial disinfectant
- Wiping baseboards and doors
- Vacuuming under beds and couches
- Dusting lights, blinds and ceiling fans
- If accessible, vacuuming underneath beds and couches
We do not provide medical care; however, the assistance of a Community Health Worker to aid in a variety of daily living tasks can be requested through Home and Community Care services of Island Health. You, your family or your doctor can make a referral to the Home and Community Care team. A case manager will be appointed and together you will create a care plan of support designed to meet your individual needs. Community Health Workers are an important part of the Dawson Heights team.
A variety of transportation options are available to seniors in Greater Victoria.
- Transportation services include:
- City buses stop right outside the door
- BC Transit’s HandyDART services
- Regular taxi service is readily available
- Volunteer drivers through Saanich Volunteers
- BC Transit’s Taxi Saver program
This is your home and you are most welcome to have guests and we encourage you to do so.
- A cot can be borrowed free of charge for an overnight guest in your suite
- You can reserve space in our dining room for your family and friends
- Alternatively, you can book our Family Dining Room for parties of five or more
- All buildings have locked entrances with security cameras
- There are staff available 24 hours a day
- All staff undergo reference and criminal record checks
- A hairdresser, pedicurist, and foot nurse all provide fee for services on site at the Cedars
- A blood pressure clinic is held once monthly
- Other services are available from time to time
- Will I enjoy the social and community opportunities available? Or do I prefer to be alone?
- Talk over your options with someone you trust, a friend or a family member. Visit a number of seniors’ residences, talk with people living there, book a meal and while you are considering this it might be a good idea to put your name on the waiting list.
- Is my family having to do more for me these days than I wish?
- Will I lose my independence? Or will my independence be enhanced with a little support?